This past weekend I took a class -- a yarn dyeing class at The Point Knitting Cafe in the Village of New York City (http://www.thepointnyc.com/) It was so much fun!! The instructor was really a blast and since there were only two students we decided to share our color palettes. I only dyed three hanks of Kraemer Yarn. The first one is called Jeannie, 80% Superwash Merino, 20% Nylon 100 grams Super Fine Weight approximately 420 yards before dyeing; the middle yarn is Kraemer's Sterling Silk & Silver, 63% Superwash Merino, 20% Silk, 15% Nylon, 2% Silver, 100 grams approximately 420 yards; and the third one is Janice, 100% Merino Wool, 100 grams, Medium Weight approximately 300 yards before dyeing.
I enjoyed this experience so much, that I have already placed an order for dyes and bare yarns to try out at home.
The Point is such a cozy shop. There is a cafe counter and you can order coffee, cappuccinos, lattes, etc. while sitting and chit chatting with other knitters! Visit the shop, you won't be disappointed. And while you are there, visit The Market, where artisanal breads are made one block east of the yarn shop.
3 comments:
Taking you class sounds like a great deal of fun....not to mention you now have some lovely hand dyed yarn! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you knit up with it. Lovely, I am sure!
You're killin' me! I wish we had a shop like that around here. That's what I get for leaving NY. :( Love your stuff; the yarns came out great. ~Donna
Well here's an update: I have purchased bare yarns from several different online stores, purchased a microwave to use exclusively for yarn dyeing and have purchased the dye. Now all I have to do is find the time to start dyeing yarn!!!
Post a Comment