Welcome To Mom's Knitting Room

Welcome to my blog page. My site will update from time to time. You may on occasion see items rearranged or removed. So don't think you're going "crazy". I am still learning to navigate within the blog world.
My knitting experiences have been very slight. I have only been knitting about four years. Learning the "ropes" and "ins and outs" of knitting from my mom who has been knitting for over 50 years. I have had the privilege of having many talented women and men teach me their "tricks of the trade". They have been generous and patient with me as I learn this craft.
You might wonder why its taken so long for me to catch the "bug" of knitting, but until recently it occurred to me that this long lived art would die with my mom as she is the only one of three siblings who can knit and crochet. So in order to keep the tradition alive and hopefully pass this on to future generations in our family, I ventured out on this new journey and chapter in my life.
There are many knitters out there so willing to help "newbies" along this expedition of knitting. Along the way, I have been able to impart some new techniques, skills and information to my 80 year old mom. I've been able to introduce her to fabulous fibers as well. . . . .
Who said "you can't teach an old dog new tricks?!"

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Fingerless Mitts

I have now journeyed into the land of 'Fingerless Mitts and Gloves'. Not too different from socks in that you are knitting in the round using double pointed needles. I recently visited my local yarn shop called "Stitch Therapy a Fine Yarn Shop" www.stitchtherapybrookly.com . Small shop, but loaded with beautiful yarns. The owner is always willing to help you figure out patterns and always encouraging her customers to try out this or that. Great place. Please visit this store, as the saying goes 'great things come in small packages' and you will definitely not be disappointed.

Well, she had finished knitting up a lovely fingerless mitt for a floor display. I toyed with the sample while visiting and that night fell asleep thinking about this glove. I just had to try it. Well, I went back the very next day, purchased a lovely red yarn by EXTRA - 100% Australian Merino, Shrink Resistent yarn.
What a pleasure to knit with this yarn. The ply is beautiful and there is this lovely slight sheen to the fabric. I presently do not have a picture of the finished product as my mom, once again, is blocking the set of fingerless mitts at her home.

You will notice, by viewing the second picture, that I have started my second pair of fingerless mitts in Artyarns Supermerino colorway 119. Using US #4 needles.

When I started knitting the mitts, I decided to do both at the same time using two sets of double pointed needles in the same sizes of course, so that I could finish both basically at the same time. One is a little more advanced in the pattern than the other, but will soon reach its mate quickly. This is a really easy pattern to do.
I have a slight problem with my knitting in that I do the first mate correctly and then somehow the second mate is tighter!! I have no idea why this happens to me, although some have suggested that maybe I feel more confident with the pattern, thus I am knitting tighter in order to finish the entire project. Who knows, but I aim to conquer this little dilemma.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your story about knitting on the subway. I'm in Maryland now but I grew up in Crown Heights section of Brooklyn and rode the IRT line. Was not knitting at the time I lived in Bklyn but I can picture myself now if I was since I knit everywhere, even at stoplights when I'm driving!

Regards,
Carol
(crochetnknit@yahoo.com)