Welcome To Mom's Knitting Room

Welcome to my blog page. My site will update from time to time. You may on occasion see items rearranged or removed. So don't think you're going "crazy". I am still learning to navigate within the blog world.
My knitting experiences have been very slight. I have only been knitting about four years. Learning the "ropes" and "ins and outs" of knitting from my mom who has been knitting for over 50 years. I have had the privilege of having many talented women and men teach me their "tricks of the trade". They have been generous and patient with me as I learn this craft.
You might wonder why its taken so long for me to catch the "bug" of knitting, but until recently it occurred to me that this long lived art would die with my mom as she is the only one of three siblings who can knit and crochet. So in order to keep the tradition alive and hopefully pass this on to future generations in our family, I ventured out on this new journey and chapter in my life.
There are many knitters out there so willing to help "newbies" along this expedition of knitting. Along the way, I have been able to impart some new techniques, skills and information to my 80 year old mom. I've been able to introduce her to fabulous fibers as well. . . . .
Who said "you can't teach an old dog new tricks?!"

Friday, April 4, 2008

Maxcine's Hat Pattern

This is the second time I attempt this hat pattern. It was supposed to have been a test pattern. The first time I made the hat I ended up not following the pattern as instructed but sort of let my hand flow with the rhythm of the stitches. The second attempt I had to force myself to stay within pattern. The results were lovely.

Take a look at the crown of the hat, its absolutely beautiful--if I should say so myself.

I used Lang's Silkdream (combination of wool and silk) in two colors, black and aqua, using US#6 circular needle.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi-I think your blog is smart and good for you for explaining about larger pics and leaving comments. You made me realise I could do with such instructions on my blog. Thanks.

sharecropper said...

Hey, this is great. Not only the hat, but the organization - gives me some ideas for my blog. And, I love the Brooklyn Bridge pix at the end. I just bought a print of Georgia O'Keeffe's painting of the bridge, and I didn't realize that the arches were really there. I thought she superimposed them. Wow! Thanks.

Crafty Attorney said...

I wanted to say that for someone who has only been knitting for a short time (and I saw your "update" post on Knitting Novices), that you do really beautiful work.

I learned to knit about 4 years ago (been crocheting for forty) and you seem to have caught on VERY quickly! What's more... your blog is wonderful in general -- I may "borrow some ideas for mine!!

www.craftyattorney.blogspot.com

Gramma Phyllis said...

I love the crown of the hat. If the pattern becomes available for those of us in the cyberworld, please let us know. I would love to make it. I found your blog through socknitters yahoo group and I will return to see what else you are making.